Congrats your going to college! Or perhaps you are already there and you could use an update.
Whatever your reason is, making your dorm or room in your apartment is essential to the college experience. You got to have a space that is dedicated to you while you are putting everything into your schooling and work.
- Cover or quilt
- Sleeping pillow
- Decorative pillows – pointless but cute nonetheless
- Small & Large blanket
- Bed risers – gives you more space for under-bed storage
- A desk – if not provided or if you only have one for a shared room like my apartment is
- Shelves – it’s nice to have an extra space to put your things if there isn’t a lot of storage
- LOTS OF PICTURES
- Long body mirror – some dorm’s already have one so make sure you look into whether yours does or doesn’t
- String of lights – I have a cute one from Rue 21 that I can hang my polaroid’s from
- Shower bag/basket – handy for keeping all of your stuff in order if you don’t keep it in the shower
- All of your usual bathroom supplies for doing hair and make up
- A cup – to hold tooth brush and toothpaste
- Small bags or baskets – to help you sort all of your supplies
- Plug in heater/fan – my apartment has one attached to our wall so I didn’t need one. If you don’t have one like me though you’ll love it on cold nights or for background noise while studying or if roommates are being a little noisy at night.
- Basic tools – trust me, when you first move in and are building shelves or if something breaks it’s nice to have a screwdriver laying around. Or if your picky like me it was handy to have a measuring tape for planning out spacing between the picture frames I hung up 😉 Thanks Dad!
- Plug extender
If you are moving in with a friend(s) you may share supplies from the kitchen a lot but if not it’s nice to have things of your own for all of your needs.
- 4-6 sets of dishes (plates, bowls, cups, and silverware)
- Steak knives
- Butter knives
- Serving spoon
- Large & small pan (lids)
- Large & small pot lids)
- Cheese grader
- Large bowl for mixing ingredients
- Cutting board
- Comfortable backpack with plenty of pockets for everything and pockets for your water bottle
- Water bottle – a ton of people have those hydro flasks and they are nice don’t get me wrong but whatever you get make sure it fits into that side pocket on your backpack
- Thermos – walking to school with a hot chocolate when its below freezing is AMAZING
- Colored pens
- iClicker or the app for it – this may be unique to Utah State University, I honestly don’t know but if your going there you will most definitely need one for at least one class because they will do polls and you will answer using this.
- Lap top/charger – the schools have great computers as well if this isn’t an option. I had to use them for almost 2 weeks when I lost my charger for my laptop and did just fine
- Snacks – go go squeeze is my go to
- Lots of pens and pencils
- TIP: Wait to buy most school supplies till you have been to the class at least once and know the policies for it. Most classes will let you type your notes (which is usually faster so you can keep up with teachers who go through slides fast). But you may have the one teacher who doesn’t like technology use so you may need a notebook for that one.
- Pencil holder – I have a ton of cute mugs that my friends have given as gifts so that is what I use
- Phone stand – for facetiming while getting your study on
- Fun decorations or tiny plants